Safety Practices in Using Sharps
- It is important to use a new sharp for each injection to reduce harm to your skin and for more comfort.
- Where possible use a safety engineered sharps device
How to Properly Dispose of Sharps
- Do NOT flush sharps in toilets
- Do NOT place sharps in recycling
Used sharps should be immediately placed in a sharps disposal container. FDA-cleared sharps containers are generally available through pharmacies, medical supply companies, healthcare providers and online.
Examples of FDA cleared sharps containers include:
- Red Boxes
- Sharps clippers
In general, sharps containers are puncture and leak resistant and keep the sharp contained.
If an FDA-cleared container is not available a heavy-duty plastic household container, such as a laundry detergent container can be used as an alternative; that is:
- made of a heavy-duty plastic,
- can be closed with a tight-fitting, puncture-resistant lid, without sharps being able to come out,
- upright and stable during use, and