Local drug collection and disposal programs led and managed by communities and law enforcement offer another responsible way to dispose of unused prescription medication. At MyOldMedsLA, we support community-driven drug disposal programs when they are run and managed by local law enforcement and only when they are structured to prevent drug abuse or diversion.
There are two key ways to securely dispose of unused or expired medication in your community:
COMMUNITY DROP-OFF LOCATIONS
Community drop-off locations allow the public to bring unused, unwanted or unneeded medication to a centralized location to be properly disposed. When looking for a community disposal program in your area, only seek out programs that are structured to prevent theft or diversion of unused medication and protect patient privacy. This means not returning medications to unlocked or unsupervised drop off locations or boxes, as this may contribute to drug abuse and diversion.
To locate a community disposal program in your area, consult the American Medicine Chest Challenge database to find the location closest to you. Or, call your county’s sheriff’s office, department of public works, or trash and recycle service for a list of locations in your area. Some military bases and veterans’ hospitals also have disposal programs for active duty military, veterans and their families.
LOCAL TAKE-BACK EVENTS
To encourage residents to clean out their medicine cabinets, local communities will often organize a local medication take-back event during various times of the year. Like stated before, be sure your local take-back event is run by law enforcement and structured to prevent theft or diversion of unused medication and protect patient privacy.
- LA County Walgreen Safe Medicine Disposal Kiosks
- DEA Medication Collection Site Zip Code Search
- LA County Public Works “No Drugs Down the Drain”
- LA County Permanent Collection Centers
- LA County Monthly Collection Events
- LA County Sheriff’s Department Collection Sites
- LA County City Policy Offices (list of sites and links to come)
- LA County S.A.F.E. Centers
- LA County Medical Sharps Collection Sites
- California No Drugs Down the Drain Zip Code Search